In the 1970’s, Albert Mehrabian created a tool called the communication model. Within this model, he came up with the idea that only 7% of what is being communicated are the literal words. That means that according to his theory, pet owners, co-workers, and your manager are using the other 93% to understand what you’re saying. That’s a huge difference! So what makes up the remaining 93%...

Being open to criticism, good or bad, is vital to being successful in any job. How else are you going to know what to improve on, how to grow, and areas may require more focus?

When it comes to receiving criticism, it doesn’t always come gracefully. We like to think of ourselves as perfect employees, capable of doing no wrong. But is this really true? Not likely. We are all humans, and...

If you are a pet owner whose pet is in failing health, or if you have sadly experienced the recent passing of a pet, the following information may help guide you through this difficult period with knowledge, understanding and peace of mind. This information can also be shared with clients if they are searching for aftercare options.

 

Pet loss, whether anticipated or sudden...

Dealing with a pet’s death is hard, and can be even harder when children are involved. Kids may not understand the magnitude of their pet’s illness, the related expenses, or how to assess quality of life. During these times, you can help clients by giving them a few tips from Enid Traisman, MSW, CT, for communicating with kids about the death of a pet.

 

Parents faced with...

Guilt is a common feeling among participants in the DoveLewis Pet Loss Support Program. Enid Traisman, MSW, CT, and Director of the DoveLewis Pet Loss Support Program reviews how to help those dealing with feelings of grief after losing a pet.

 

Guilt is a cognitive or an emotional experience that occurs when a person believes—accurately or not—that he or she has violated a...

March 1st is National Peanut Butter Lover’s Day, and peanut butter is a commonly used tool here at DoveLewis. To celebrate, we’re sharing 5 facts about peanut butter and 5 ways to use peanut butter in your hospital.

 

5 Facts About Peanuts and Peanut Butter

It takes about 540 peanuts into make a 12-ounce jar of peanut butter. Archibutyrophobia (pronounced A’-ra-kid-bu-...

How does grief differ when a pet is lost due to old age versus a sudden tragedy? Enid Traisman, MSW, CT, and Director of the DoveLewis Pet Loss Support Program, reviews how clients may feel and react after losing a pet in each circumstance.

 

The death of a companion animal is painful, regardless of how it happens. The sudden death of a pet can be even harder to process when...

We’ve all had the thought after working with a client-- why didn’t you mention this earlier? Why am I just hearing about this now? This would have been nice to know an hour ago…

While it may be easy to blame the client, it’s important to remember you have control over these conversations. As medical professionals, we have a lot of medical knowledge. And, it’s likely that the client you...

Pressure and stress are factors that play a role in our jobs, everyday. Join Sarah Parker, CMA (AAMA), from the Medical Society of Metropolitan Portland, to learn about ways to manage pressure in any position at your hospital. <br /><br /> To learn more about Sarah and the Medical Society of Metropolitan Portland, click <a href="https://msmp.org/Sarah-Parker">here...

There are a lot of ways to communicate these days. Phone calls, text messages, instant messages, email, direct mail-- the list goes on. While it’s important to note how your clients prefer to be communicated with, it’s also important to remember that communicating with clients is different than communicating with your co-workers or friends. Here are a few tips for writing clear and concise...

Pages